Saving Money Tips
As most of you know, I’m a gynecologist. It is safe to say that none of my patients want to be in my office.
They may feel they should be, they may feel they have to be, but they don’t WANT to be.
To lighten the mood, I have learned (painfully slow at times) that most women want to be distracted while I do what gynecologists do. (If you don’t know, ask your wife or girlfriend. Don’t, I repeat DON’T ask your Mom. She doesn’t want to talk about it. And you don’t want to think your mom has a sexual organ….)
I ask them various questions based on my knowledge of them through the years.
- The gardeners, I ask them how their vegetables/flowers are doing.
- The travelers, I ask where they’ve been and did they enjoy it.
- Of course grandma’s are easy to distract. Ask them about their latest grandchild, and away they go-they don’t feel a thing!
I get an education on what’s on their minds…
Lately many people are telling me how dismayed they are about how much things cost.
A couple of years ago everyone was fearful they or their husband would lose their job.
Now, however, it’s the pocketbook pinch, or the light wallet syndrome that has ‘em aggravated.
- “It took me 80 bucks to fill up my truck! Can you believe it. I thought there was plenty of gas around!”
- “Coffee! Can you believe it cost me 12 bucks for a pound of Dunkin Doughnut Coffee! Jeezereeee…”
- “I can’t believe how much that fertilizer for my yard has gone up! I may just have to let my flowers die this year…”
- “Steak, who can afford steak! I am trouble even buying chicken. Charlie the tuna, here I come! Those dried instant soups are looking better and better-I need to lose a few pounds anyway.”
Money Saving Tips
- Brand names-I know you think you have to have Starbucks, Dunkin Doughnut, or maybe even fresh beans from your favorite roaster , but now may be the time to cut your habit. Slowly shave back consumption. No cold turkey caffeine withdrawal headache. The same can go for bread, tuna, peanut butter. My friend Len Penzo even proved brand alliance for ketchup may be a mistake.
- Gas prices- I have dusted off my bicycle and used it to run errands this week. I don’t live in an urban area where bikers are common. I get a lot of weird looks when I pull up at the drive-through in my helmet….But I use less gas and I laugh all the way to the bank. (especially when I’m at the bank….)
- Slow down-this works in so many areas of your life. Your car-better mileage. Eating-the slower you eat, the less you eat. With life-Stop and smell the roses. Watching the sunset is free-going to the movies can cost 50 bucks for a family plus the gas… Slow down on kid’s activities-save money and spend more quality time together.
- Fertilizer and yard up-keep-Lessen your footprint. Use xeriscaping, mulch, and natural hardy plants to decrease your maintenance and water use. Think about composting or borrowing manure from the local horse farm.
- De-Clutter or begin steps to minimalism-This is a two-fer. Sell some of your stuff, and buy less stuff. Do you really need another ______ (insert electronic gadget, collectible, shoes-whatever your weak spot!) You can even make it a three-fer by donating stuff to charity-tax deductible, decluttering and helping someone-Cool beanz!
- Bonus! Have more sex-For most (except with Charlie Sheen and a few other notables) this is free. (humm, I did meet a guy with 10 children this week-so maybe this isn’t free… Maybe I’ll think on this one a little more….)
Let’s face the facts. Prices are going up. You will pay more for your stuff, buy less stuff, or different stuff. There is no other stuff option.
Remember the RSS Feed is top right. You can sign up to receive our posts without worrying about missing one. And feel free to like us on Facebook. I try to make it easy for you. And follow us @DrDeanBurke