What’s Your Favorite Christmas Memory?
It’s hard to have time to reflect on what this season brings to you but have you done that lately? In our family we have certain traditions that have developed over the years:
- The tree. It’s not so much where or when, but that it’s up. We use the same two strands of colored lights with the same repeating pattern.
- The ornaments. In the last decade, a few new ones have made their way onto the tree, but mostly they are gifts from many years and Christmas parties gone by. Hanging the ornament usually brings a smile and a memory.
- The tree stand. I love our stand. It’s not easy to use or attractive but we’ve not had a downed tree since we bought the thing. I have the frustrating memories of the few years before we got this tree stand that cycle through my mind every time we haul this big old clunky thing out of the attic. Yep. It does the job.
- Mr. Grinch. He’s a stuffed version. As I’ve always related to his personality, this 3-D replica found a special place in my heart. For a number of years he had a permanent year round perch on the den sofa. Small green fluffy guys in Santa suits are less obtrusive than you’d think.
- The Music. It couldn’t possibly be Christmas without the music. Maybe it starts too early at the departments stores or is it possible to tire of the jingle and jangle by the big day? Whatever. At home, those old tunes on the newish CDs warm my heart. I love singing the carols at church and wish we sang more of the old ones.
- The Hand Soap. I don’t think this is weird, though it might be. For years I was too frugal to spring for the Bath and Body Works seasonal soaps, but my daughter gave me some a couple of years ago and I love it. The Peppermint they come out with every year is my favorite with the Tree scented ones a close second.
- Santa Booties. When my children were toddlers, my Mother-in-Law painted small ceramic Santa stockings and put the kid’s names on them. Every year as I get those out, I cherish the memories I have of her and our Christmases together.
There are so many more. What are your favorite memories as you drag out all the seasonal decorations?
My goal is 1000 Facebook likes before the end of the year. Please hit the “Like” button and help me reach my goal.
Link to me-at Linked In
Don’t miss anything here-RSS