Pee Your Pants Fun?
Ask someone, anyone, about playing a board game and you’ll likely get: a face-softening wistful look as their minds eye returns them to a comforting childhood memory. It’s like smelling roast turkey or pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.
I saw the same memory flash this morning when I asked my exercise partner if she’d ever played board games. When I asked co-workers about them, bam, you could tell they went to the same ‘grinning like a 5 year old’ place.
That’s what board games are to many of us, a fond memory. Games bring back pleasant family centered childhood experiences. Or maybe competitive battles with friends or siblings without possibility of injury, except to our pride…
Board Games while traveling
During a recent meeting of financial writers, Average Joe from Free Financial Advisor, shared his enthusiasm with board games-as a collector and practitioner.
He even brought one, carefully chosen for this particular group of people.
Fortunately, we had a table in the hotel bar a little separate from other patrons.
We got rowdy. Not rowdy like we were ripping clothes off, Prince Harry style, (heaven forbid) but loud and laughing like tearful hyenas rowdy. The wonderful Blonde Wheat Ale we were enjoying only slightly (?) contributed to the enjoyment.
We were sooo close to being the star of a Depends commercial…
Board Games At Home
We had so much fun I have decided to find a few games that would be fun to play when we have friends over.
When the kids and their spouses come home, we enjoy playing Canasta but won’t it be fun to try something new?
Besides, my run of bad luck at Canasta needs a break. I hit Google and got some information and of course will run it all by my board game guru, Average Joe, prior to purchasing.
Here’s what I found out about my new fascination.
Board Games Trivia:
- Come in all sizes and shapes from online to the real thing-some even with boards.
- They come in categories like party, trivia or strategy games.
- There are new games and re-done old games.
- There are games for Smarts Asses that let you answer out of turn.
- Give you the opportunity to trade and build in mythical worlds.
- Almost all require an imagination.
- Can improve your spelling.
And that’s just a short list.
Would I be a good personal finance blogger if I didn’t pass along information about
What Board Games Costs and Where to Buy Them?
- All the big sites like Amazon and Walmart sell games.
- Prices online range from $15 to over $200.
- Game popularity and rarity definitely effects price.
- Thrift stores and eBay are great sources of used games.
Sources for Board Game Information and Reviews:
- 80 board games are reviewed by appropriate age and number of players.
- For general information including history of games, demographics and how to make your own.
- For the ADD version of board game information. They seem to have it all, including a newsletter.
Bored with movies, crowded theaters and stale popcorn that cost a weeks salary?
Jump on the board game bandwagon. Do your research and invite a few friends over.
You can sit around and share old board game experiences as you make some new ones.
What about you? Which game was your favorite growing up? Now what’s your fav?
My goal is 1000 Facebook likes before the end of the year. Please hit the “Like” button and help me reach my goal. Bruce stays too busy with legal work, but do it for him, anyway.
Photo Credit: CarbonNYC
Link to me-at Linked In
Don’t miss anything here-RSS